Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Performance Review

I believe my performance was strong overall, because people seemed intrigued and also slightly disturbed by my presence and our group as a whole. Our appearance drew attention because it was far from the normal stereotype of what people expect, and it successfully interrupted the community dinner. Our silence, and blank expressions made people uneasy and confused, also making our subtle interactions with each other stronger. I think my scream was a very effective aspect of the performance. Everyone expected us to remain silent, since we did most of the performance, which made the scream unpredictable and startling to the students. I screamed during one of the loudest moments during the dinner, and caused the whole building to go silent for a few seconds. It was also very strong how the others from our group were startled by the scream, but ultimately knew what I wanted, and passed the plate, making it seem like a normal situation to our "family." Overall, I think my performance and the group's performance as a whole was very effective and made a stronger impact than I expected, which drew a lot of attention to our characters and scenario.

The only problem I had during the performance was trying to remain serious or keep a blank expression, especially after the scream and when certain people would try to talk to me. Other than that, I think the performance went smooth.

The audience, for the most part, seemed intrigued and interested about our concept. Some seemed disturbed or confused, which I believe to be a good thing. Everyone I talked to after the performance thought it was absurd and interesting, and wanted to know our reasoning behind the act. Overall, I believe we achieved our goal of advertising our film screening with the performance at the community dinner.

I would not make many changes to future events, besides trying harder to remain serious. Our performance was documented with stills, which I have not seen yet, but I believe stills were more appropriate than video since the actions were mundane for the most part. This did influence me to think of integrating performances into my other works.

No comments:

Post a Comment